Powered by Blogger.

Summer Berry Tarts

Thursday 27 June 2013


I baked these delicious morsels in an effort to cheer myself up whilst battling the lurgy.  They are delicious, slightly faffy to make, but really worth the effort.  You could use any berries you like, I just  happened to have rather a lot of strawberries to use up.

I used the shortcrust pastry recipe from this post, feel free to use shop bought pastry or a ready made pastry case.  I also used redcurrant jelly from a bottle given to me at a recent food blogger event. If you don't fancy making crème patisserie just use a really thick custard, either homemade or store bought.

Crème Patisserie

3 free range egg yolks
20g plain flour, sifted
65g caster sugar
250ml milk
1 or 2 tsp vanilla bean paste

Put the egg yolks, flour and 2 tablespoons of the sugar in a bowl and whisk until thick and pale.  Combine the milk, remaining sugar and vanilla bean paste in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.  Strain through a sieve into the beaten egg mixture.  Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.  Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely.  If you put a clingfilm on the surface of the crème it will stop a skin forming on the surface.

Assembling the Summer Berry Tarts

I made the Crème Patisserie and left it to cool completely then kept it in the fridge until I was ready to use it.

I lined 4 loose based mini quiche tins with shortcrust pastry then blind baked them until the pastry was golden and completely cooked through.  Once the tart cases had cooled completely I brushed the inside with a little melted chocolate to stop the pastry from going soggy once the tarts were filled.

Put enough crème patisserie into each tart case to 2/3 fill it.  Lay the strawberries on top.  Gently heat the redcurrant jelly until smooth, brush/pour over the berries then leave to set.


I am submitting these tarts to the Classic French Challenge by Jen from Blue Kitchen Bakes.


I'm also submitting my Summer Berry Tarts to Simple and In Season the monthly blogging linky from Ren Behan.


2 comments:

  1. They look lovely - I keep meaning to make something like this but never seem to actually get around to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These tarts are so colourful and pretty, hope you're feeling better now. Thanks for entering Classic French :)

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top