Powered by Blogger.

Blackberry Flapjacks

Wednesday 21 May 2014
My daughters are very fond of flapjacks and I normally add dried fruit or chopped fresh apple to add more flavour.  I decided to use some over-ripe blackberries I rescued from the supermarket bargain bin, costing only 50p, and put a layer of fruit in the middle of the flapjacks.  They were a huge hit and I have made them a few times since, sometimes using a layer of jam or fruit compote in place of squished fresh berries.

Blackberry Flapjacks

100g butter
100g light soft brown or caster sugar
100g golden syrup
225g rolled oats
25g ground almonds
300g fresh blackberries

Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin. Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan.
Put the butter, sugar and golden syrup into a large saucepan over a low heat. Cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the butter and sugar are melted. Remove from the heat and pour the dry ingredients into the saucepan. Mix well until all the ingredients are coated with the syrup mixture.

Tip 2/3 of the mixture into the prepared cake tin and press down with a potato masher to form an even layer. Mash the blackberries in a bowl until pulpy and tip this over the mixture in the cake tin. Sprinkle the remaining oats mixture over the fruit layer and gently press down to level the top.

Bake at 180C/160C Fan for 15 - 20 minutes, then leave to cool completely in the tin before cutting into squares.



8 comments:

  1. Oh they look inviting. I've done layered flapjacks before and I really liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary in Perth Australia21 May 2014 at 15:36

    I could reach into the screen and grab one of those. Thanks for the recipe, it looks yummy.

    Great idea to use the potato masher too.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so good, am making a note of this ready for blackberry season. I make something similar with homemade cranberry sauce around Christmas time. I do find that they disappear even quicker than normal though and I'm guessing these one's would too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dates are cheap in Lidl and I add them to homemade flapjacksxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a great photo Michelle!!!! The flapjacks look and sounds divine... love the twang of blackberries especially up against sweet flapjacks... will be trying!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great addition - we tend to forage for blackberries in the summer so I'll remember this trick x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, your picture is making my tongue tingle. Really x

    ReplyDelete
  8. They do look good Michelle and a lovely picture too - I could eat one right now!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top