Powered by Blogger.

Orange Yoghurt Cake

Thursday 10 January 2013


I had a lightbulb moment in the kitchen yesterday, not the sort of Oprah inspired navel gazing kind, or unfortunate electrical incident kind either.  I've been making Lemon Yoghurt Cake for years and I suddenly thought, why not make it with oranges instead?!

OK, so it's not that earth shattering as lightbulb moments go but it did satisfy my craving for a citrus treat and enable me to make a scrumptious cake even though I had no lemons in the house to use for baking.  Hurrah!

Orange Yoghurt Cake

1¾ cups sugar
finely grated rind of 2 oranges
2 large eggs
¾ cup oil
½ tsp salt
1¼ cup natural yoghurt
2 - 3 Tblsp orange juice
2 cups self-raising flour

Heat oven to 190C/170C Fan.  Grease and line a 23cm/9inch round cake tin.

Put the orange zest, sugar, eggs and oil in a bowl and whisk them together until they are thoroughly combined.  Add the salt, yoghurt and orange juice then mix again.  Sift in the flour and fold it through until just combined, don't be tempted to beat it or overmix the batter or your cake will be tough and not light.

Pour the cake mixture into your prepared tin and bake for 30 - 35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 - 15 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool completely. 

I iced mine with some icing sugar mixed with more orange juice.  My 3 daughters thought it needed some brightening up so they attacked it sprinkled some citrus flavoured sugar strands over it.



I am submitting this cake to the One Ingredient blog challenge co-hosted by Laura from How to Cook Good Food and Nazima at Franglais Kitchen.

I am submitting this recipe to the January edition of Tea Time Treats. The theme is Citrus, and I think this cake should fit in nicely. Tea Time Treats is hosted alternately by Karen at Lavender and Lovage and Kate from What Kate Baked, and this month Karen is hosting.

teatime treats



5 comments:

  1. What a good lightbulb moment this cake turned into! I love oranges and cakes that use yoghurt always have such a wonderful texture so I am loving your orange version very much indeed. Thanks for entering One Ingredient this month xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks yummy. I was considering making an orange cake but then made an orange cheesecake instead. I now fancy making an orange cake as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DELICIOUS and I love your light bulb moment Michelle! STUNNING looking cake with ALL my favourite ingredients! THANKS so much for this lovely Tea Time Treats entry! Karen PS: Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could just curl up with a slice of this on a Sunday afternoon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake looks spectacular! A feast for eyes.Going to pin it now to my Inspiring recipes board

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top