Powered by Blogger.

Leftover Over-ripe Bananas Recipes

Wednesday 2 May 2012
Don't throw away your over-ripe and spotty bananas!


I would use bananas that were a little more over-ripe to bake with but we have a glut of bananas so I used them anyway.  These recipes are fab if you have a couple of over-ripe banana languishing in your fruit bowl or have bought some cheaply at the supermarket in the reduced section.  I've included loads of pics so if reading skills are an issue the recipe should still be fairly easy to follow, prefect for our school Cookery Club.

Banana and Date Loaf

300g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp mixed spice
125g pitted dates, chopped
115g caster sugar
250ml milk
2 free range eggs
2 large bananas, peeled and mashed

Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 24 x 13.5cm loaf tin with non-stick baking paper.  Put the flour, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and dates into a large bowl.


Stir to thoroughly mix all the dry ingredients and dates together.  Then combine the milk, eggs and mashed bananas in a separate bowl or jug.


Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until well combined. 


Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin.  It is quite a runny mixture so don't be alarmed.


Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.


Cool for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. 


Slice and serve with a cuppa.


Oaty Banana Muffins

260g self-raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g rolled oats
100g brown sugar
2 free range eggs
185g plain yoghurt
4 Tblsp/60ml oil
2 bananas, mashed

Preheat your oven to 200°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.  Put the flour, rolled oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, bicarbonate of soda and brown sugar into a bowl.  Stir to mix everything together.


Put the eggs, oil and yoghurt into a separate bowl or jug.  Whisk them together and then stir in the mashed banana.


Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until just combined.  Don't overmix it or your muffins will be tough.  The mixture may look a bit lumpy, do not be alarmed.  


Spoon the mixture into the paper cases. 


Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.  Cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.


6 comments:

  1. Maureen Reynier2 May 2012 at 19:00

    Hi Michelle

    I've just made a batch of these muffins. You don't say where the rolled oats go into the mix. I assumed along with the other dry ingredients. Will let you know how they turn out. Love recipes like this using up food that might otherwise go to waste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen, I've edited the post to make the recipe clearer. :o) I hope you like the muffins.

      Delete
  2. These both sound excellent - though I tend to use my bananas up in smoothies, they never make it this far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah :o) I usually make my favourite banana cake recipe but thought I would make up a couple of others for variety.

      Delete
  3. They look lovely. No oil in the banana loaf? Would love to try it, but the thermostat on my oven is broken, so I can only biscuits and muffins. Will try the muffins, though - have never tried yoghurt in mine.

    I use a mashed up ripe banana in a lot of my muffin recipes now, along with a grated apple, to cut down on the sugar.

    Oh, and the other thing I love to do with really, really ripe bananas, is peel them, wrap them in foil, stick them in the freezer and then use them to make delicious banana milkshakes a couple of days later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very good.. Perfect timing. I have over-riped bananas right now and I dont know what to do with it. but since i found your post, I'll try it. I also like collecting quick and easy gourmet recipes

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top