Powered by Blogger.

Wholemeal Apple Loaf - Sugar Free and Dairy Free

Thursday 31 July 2014
We have two apple trees in our back garden, both overloaded with ripe apples.  Of course I encourage friends and neighbours to pick as many as they like, I will not have good fresh produce going to waste.  We do our bit to use them up too with various apple concoctions and recipes.  Given my current dietary restrictions, sugar laden cakes, pies and crumbles are out so something more wholesome but still delicious was in order.


The sweetness in this loaf comes solely from the grated apple so use a sweeter variety if you can.  The loaf is a delicious wholegrain bread which is fab eaten whilst still warm from the oven or left to cool and devoured with a cuppa or as a lunchbox treat.  I had some warm topped for an afternoon tea snack, it was delicious and moist.  

You could add sultanas, dried apricots or other dried fruit to the loaf if you want but of course that would add natural sugars.  I'm going to add some foraged blackberries to the next loaf.



Wholemeal Apple Loaf - Sugar Free and Dairy Free

500g grated apple, we used about 10
300g plain wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking power
3 free range eggs
60 ml oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla bean paste, or in my case a large dollop

Preheat your oven to 180C/160C Fan.  Line a 2lb/800g loaf tin with baking paper or a liner.

Measure all the ingredients into a bowl.  Stir gently until completely combined, don't be tempted to beat the mixture or over mix it.  

Spoon the mixture into your prepared loaf tin.  Top with some sliced apple if you wish.  Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.  Check the loaf after 45 minutes cooking time, you may need to cover the top with foil if it is browning too much.  Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.



Here are a few other delicious no so naughty bakes:

Carrot and date loaf with cinnamon walnut frosting (gluten-free, vegan recipe) from Emily

Low sugar carrot cake muffins from Sarah

Sugar-free Cake from Peter



8 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you have apple trees in your garden. This looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Michelle, I do love wholemeal flour in cakes/loaves too as it adds a lovely nuttiness:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks incredibly good, there would be no need to feel guilty eating that. I might have to make it myself this week. Thanks for the mention and I'm looking forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love apples and decided to reduce the sugar I eat, so this is just right my alley! Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes this looks delicious. Pete made our first courgette cake yesterday, OK but needs work. Will glean tips from here even though courgette is not apple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great idea for a healthier cake that still sounds delicious and I'm jealous of your bountiful apple trees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love baking with apples! This looks so tasty (although I would probably spoil the health aspect by having it warm with some salted butter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks really great. I am trying to eat less sugar at the moment but having watched GBBO, JD he is desperate to do some cake baking tomorrow. I might try to persuade him to try making this with me. I'm pretty sure he'll jump at it!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top