Powered by Blogger.

Frugal Fruit Puddings

Friday 27 January 2012
I do like a good pud, great for cold nights in Winter when we're all feeling rather dreary.  I like rich, elaborate puddings but can't be bothered faffing most of the time.  I want to feed myself and my family a decent pud that won't cost much, has a bit of fruit in it, and doesn't take forever to prepare.  Here are a couple of my favourite puds, both can easily be doubled.  You could also adapt the crumble to be gluten free, just use ordinary flour and gluten free cereals.

Tinned Fruit crumble - Serves 4

2 tins of sliced fruit in juice (I usually use pears or peaches)

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp ground ginger

1 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup muesli

1/2 cup wholemeal flour

1/2 cup brown sugar

3 Tblsp butter

Preheat oven to 180C.

Drain most of the juice (I drain it into cups for the kids to drink) from the tinned fruit but save 2 - 3 tablespoons.  Put the drained tinned fruit into a baking dish. Sprinkle over the reserved juice, cinnamon and ground ginger.

Mix the rolled oats, flour, muesli and brown sugar in a bowl until well combined. Rub in the butter with your fingertips.  The mixture will become lumpy and crumbly.  Sprinkle the topping over the fruit.

Bake for 25 minutes or until crisp and golden.  I normally serve this with homemade custard or s drizzle of cream.



Baked Apples - Serves 6

6 apples

1 cup mixed dried fruit, eg sultanas, dates, apricots

1 Tblsp brown sugar

1 Tblsp butter, melted

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup (125ml) water

Preheat oven to 180C.

Core the apples, but leave the base intact to hold in the filling.  If you want to you can score a line through the apple skin all the way around the apple, about half way up, this will help stop the apples from splitting in the oven.  Mix the dried fruit, brown sugar, melted butter and cinnamon together in a bowl.  Carefully spoon the dried fruit mixture into the apples.  Put the apples in a baking dish with the water.  Bake for about 35 minutes or until the apples are soft.


3 comments:

  1. Never thought of using tinned fruit in crumbles...will have to try that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! I put oats in my crumble mix too, s'lovely. I also use demerara sugar for some extra crunchiness. You cant beat a crumble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer to use fresh fruit or frozen berries but it is rather delicious with tinned fruit and can be a little cheaper than fresh sometimes :o) Also most people have a tin or two of fruit lurking in their cupboards that probably needs using up.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top