Powered by Blogger.

Tomato and Basil Soup with Cheese Toasts

Saturday 15 November 2014
My 11yo made this soup as a practise session before her Food Technology class this week.  She devised and tested the recipe herself.  It was delicious! I'll get her to cook a double batch next time and we'll save it in portions for lunches during the week.  11yo also took photos of her finished meal, I might have some food blogger competition from her soon. 




Tomato and Basil Soup 

1 Tblsp oil - 3p
1 onion, finely diced - 7p
2 cloves garlic, finely diced - 2p
400g tin chopped tomatoes - 40p
500ml vegetable stock - 3p
1 large carrot, peeled and grated - 4p
3 Tblsp chopped fresh basil - free (growing in our garden)

Put a little oil into a large saucepan. Cook onion over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes, stock and carrot. Bring to the boil. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add two tablespoons of the basil then cook for a further 5 minutes. Using a blender, blend soup until smooth. Pour into 4 bowls and serve topped with left over fresh basil.  Total cost of soup was 59p.



I've entered this soup into the Credit Crunch Munch blog challenge, created by Helen and Camilla, hosted this month by My Little Italian Kitchen.  It was a frugal but delicious lunch, especially because we used homemade bread and reduced for quick sale cheese.



I am also entering this soup into Extra Veg, the blogging challenge created by Helen and I, hosted this month by Fuss Free Living.



I'm also entering this soup into No Croutons Required, created by Jac, hosted this month by Lisa's Kitchen

ncr logo

I've entered this soup into Family Foodies, created by Eat Your Veg and Bangers & Mash, hosted by Eat Your Veg this month.  The theme is Vegetarian.

family-foodies


7 comments:

  1. A fabulous frugal soup - well done tp your daughter for coming up with this:-) Thank you for entering #CreditCrunchMunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I make cheese on toast I put a smear of chutney under the cheese then bake the whole thing in the oven. This is partly because my grill doesn't work but also I think it's nicer anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomato and basil soup is one of my favourites. Tomato and basil combine so perfectly. A beautiful recipe. Thank you so much for entering #CreditCrunchMunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely soup. I guess you have a chef in training there. Thanks very much for sharing with NCR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic soup and a great effort by your 11 yo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done to your daughter, a lovely soup and of exceptional value. Impressive pics too! Thanks so much for linking it up to Family Foodies Vegetarian event.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top