Welcome to my blog!

Savvy shopping, seasonal eating and thrifty recipes. Spend less on groceries and enjoy better tasting, easy to prepare meals your friends and family will love – all on a budget.

Wednesday, 24 February 2016

Queen Cakes


I do love a bit of nostalgia, especially baking recipes from my childhood and vintage cookbooks.  I was asked by Waitrose to share with you a recipe that is my Mum's best dish and why it is special to me.  My Mum cooks a delicious roast dinner, it is her speciality and it is one of my favourite meals ever, so homely and comforting and filling.  However, I decided to share a different recipe.  

My Mum discovered I could cook rather well when my Queen Cakes turned out better than hers, every single time.  It was the start of my cookery journey and from then on my Mum encouraged me to cook and bake a wide variety of recipes as I was growing up.  By the time I left home at 17 years old I was well prepared to cook for myself and my flatmates, thanks to her letting me hone my skills at home.  She purchased The Edmonds Cookbook for me when I left home, just has her Mum had done for her.  I still have it, complete with labelled and dog eared pages, and I will never part with it.


I've therefore decided to share my recipe for Queen Cakes, adapted from the one in the Edmonds Cookery Book.  And from 24th February to 6th March Waitrose are going to be hosting a competition asking their social media communities to share with them the dish that their mum cooks best and why it is so special to them. 

Throughout the campaign Waitrose will be surprising and delighting their social media communities with a number of gifts to make Mother’s Day even more special, such as flower bouquets, gift hampers and the chance to win a grand prize which will be a day trip to the Waitrose’s King’s Cross Cookery School in London for a cooking class of their choice for them and their mum to enjoy together.

To enter, simply share the dish that your Mum cooks best and why on Waitrose social media channels such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook using @Waitrose and the hashtag #ThanksMum.  You can also find out more by visiting the Thanks Mum webpage.

If you fancy a treat with a cuppa, or some fun baking with family, do try out these Queen Cakes.  They are easy to make, delicious, and great for a lunchbox treat as well as for morning or afternoon tea.

Queen Cakes

125g softened butter
125g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
2 large free range eggs
300g self raising flour
125ml milk
100g raisins or sultanas

Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases. Preheat the oven to 210C/190C Fan.

Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add a tablespoon or two of flour to stabilise the mixture if it looks like it might curdle. Add the flour to the creamed mixture in two batches, alternately with the milk. Lastly, fold in the fruit, then spoon the mixture evenly into the prepared muffin tins. Bake for around 25 minutes.

Let cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Sprinkle with a little icing sugar before serving if you wish.


**Sponsored Post **

2 comments:

  1. Is the quantity of milk correct? Just checking before I try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the quantity I normally use and the recipe comes out fine :)

      Delete