Welcome to my blog!

Savvy shopping, seasonal eating and thrifty recipes. Spend less on groceries and enjoy better tasting, easy to prepare meals your friends and family will love – all on a budget.

Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Wholegrain Rice, Quinoa, and Vegetable Bites

I was recently asked to be part of the Veetee Blogger Community and create recipes using VeeTee Microwave Rice products.  I decided that I would create a lunchbox or after school snack rather than use the rice as part of a dinner, given my fondness for being non-conformist, and my family's need to for new and interesting lunch box fillers.

These Wholegrain Rice, Quinoa, and Vegetable Balls went down well with the entire household, from bubs and the older children to my husband and I.  They freeze well too, thaw then reheat until piping hot in the oven, if you microwave them they do go a little soggy, still tasty but not as crisp and appealing.

This recipe made approximately 28 delicious morsels and I served them with a homemade tomato sauce, a garlic and herbed soured cream or yoghurt dip/sauce would work well too.



Wholegrain Rice, Quinoa, and Vegetable Bites 

1 cup roasted butternut squash, I roasted half a large butternut squash
1 courgette, grated
200g cooked Wholegrain Rice and Quinoa, I used Veetee
75g grated cheese, I used mature cheddar
2 Tblsp homemade or store bought chutney or 1 Tblsp finely chopped fresh herbs
1 or 2 handfuls of breadcrumbs, I used Panko breadcrumbs for extra texture and crunch

Preheat the oven to 180C. Line 2 large oven trays with non-stick baking paper.

Scrape the cooked butternut squash flesh from the skin and mash in a large bowl.  Mix in the grated courgette, cooked wholegrain rice and quinoa mixture, grated cheese and chutney.  

I used my ice cream scoop to measure bite sized portions to roll in breadcrumbs then place on to lined oven trays.  Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked through and the outside is crisp.  Cool on trays then devour once cool enough to safely eat.


You can follow Veetee on Twitter and Facebook for product updates, competitions and giveaways.

For more inspiration check out the following fab posts from other bloggers involved in the campaign:

Fuss Free Flavours created delicious Baked Rice Samosas
Emily cooked scrumptious Paneer and Pilau Fritters
Lucy whipped up a Nasi Goreng with Prawns
Vikalinka created a tasty Peri Peri Rice and Chicken Wrap


** Sponsored Post **

4 comments:

  1. MMm these sound absolutely gorgeous! Perfect for snacking too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do whip up the most amazing morsels - my kiddoes would love this too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely recipe Michelle, And I love the use of the chutney - I went preserving mad a few years back and have such a glut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love the addition of chutney Michelle.

    ReplyDelete