Welcome to my blog!

Savvy shopping, seasonal eating and thrifty recipes. Spend less on groceries and enjoy better tasting, easy to prepare meals your friends and family will love – all on a budget.

Wednesday, 26 June 2013

Cricut Event at The Make Lounge

I recently attended a craft workshop at The Make Lounge in London to try out the Cricut Mini craft cutting machine.  The Make Lounge is a gorgeous venue and runs various crafting and cooking classes. The motto of the make lounge is: Meet people. Make stuff.  I can happily say that I did both.  It was a fab opportunity to catch up with fellow bloggers and meet others who I've tweeted with but not met in person. We all had a chance to create some lovely items to take home too.

Cricut creates cutting devices which allow a user to electronically cut shapes into a variety of materials.  For example, you can make vinyl wall decorations, cards, invitations, cake pop or treat boxes, refresh old clothing with new designs, the possibilities are almost limitless.



After a welcome cuppa and a chat with blogging friends we put the machines through their paces.  


The Cricut is easy to set up and very user friendly.  We were using the iron on sheets to cut shapes from  which come in a variety of colours including ones that sparkle.  These are a brilliant way to liven up plain t-shirts, pillowcases, aprons, etc.  Great for personalising clothing and accessories.

I was excited by the templates for treat boxes and food packaging that can be downloaded from the gallery online as well as images for party invitations, place cards and fabric party bags.  

The only niggle I had was that at the moment you can't use your own images with the machine, only the ones in the online Cricut Craft Room.  The machine comes with access to 500 images and more can be purchased via cartridge, packages of images online or individually from the Cricut Image Library.  These can be somewhat  pricey depending on the image or package of images you want.

I had a fab time crafting, chatting and of course having a delicious morning tea.  Many thanks to the lovely PRs at Ranieri Communications and Cricut for their hospitality.  I cannot wait to have a play with a machine at home, my 3 daughters are very excited indeed.

The Cricut Mini retails for around £130 and is available from Hobbycraft and Amazon UK.


I had my travel expenses paid to attend the event.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment