Welcome to my blog!

Savvy shopping, seasonal eating and thrifty recipes. Spend less on groceries and enjoy better tasting, easy to prepare meals your friends and family will love – all on a budget.

Friday, 8 June 2012

Espresso Rice Pudding

I don't know how I managed it but I'm in the semi-finals of the Lavazza Coffee, Set, Match Challenge.  When the email came through I was totally gobsmacked!  Congratulations to the other three semi-finalists, thoroughly well deserved acknowledgement of their brilliant efforts.

To celebrate I decided to make a pudding for myself and my neighbours who have been helping to taste test quite a few of the recipes so far.  My husband doesn't like coffee, strange bloke, so I made him some chocolate brownies to shut him up for him to have instead.

I regularly make rice pudding for our family.  It's great to put in lunchboxes, have as an after school snack and as a pudding.  I thought I would give a coffee version a try for a grown-up pudding option, why not?!

250ml freshly brewed espresso
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
1 cup arborio rice
500ml semi-skimmed milk
1/2 cup light soft brown sugar or caster sugar
30g butter
250ml extra thick double cream
4 Tblsp/60ml brandy (optional)

Put the vanilla pod into the jug of espresso so that it can infuse for 5 minutes then tip the whole lot into a large saucepan. 


Put the saucepan onto a moderate heat and bring the coffee to the boil  Add the rice then immediately turn off the heat and put the lid on the saucepan.  Leave the rice to infuse for 5 minutes or so.  After 5 minutes has passed put the saucepan over a low heat, add the milk, then cook the rice very gently until the rice becomes tender.  You will need to keep an eye on the rice and stir it occasionally as it cooks.



Once the rice is tender add the sugar, butter, cream and brandy (if you are using it).  Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes.  Take the vanilla bean out of the mixture and serve the rice pudding immediately.  

Coffee rice pudding served with coffee biscuits (recipe coming soon)

Don't forget: To be in with a chance to win one the fantastic Lavazza Wimbledon prizes look out for promotional cups on take away Lavazza coffees from cafes, or enter the fabulous giveaway online at http://promotion.wimbledonlavazza.com/

Prizes include six pairs of tickets to Wimbledon, 90 Lavazza A Modo Mio Favola Plus Wimbledon Limited Edition coffee machines and 500 sets of four exclusive espresso cups created especially for the tournament.

2 comments: