Welcome to my blog!

Savvy shopping, seasonal eating and thrifty recipes. Spend less on groceries and enjoy better tasting, easy to prepare meals your friends and family will love – all on a budget.

Monday, 4 June 2012

Espresso Macaroons

I must confess that macaroons have been my nemesis for a while.  They can be tricky to get right and I've had some disasters trying to sort out a recipe that I know will work.  After much tinkering, I think I've finally got it sorted. Hurrah!

I decided to make them, along with the Espresso and Vanilla Battenberg cake, to take around to afternoon tea with a friend.  No pressure! LOL 

I decided to make the macaroons using espresso from my gorgeous Lavazza A Modo Mio coffee machine as part of the Coffee, Set, Match Challenge run by Wimbledon sponsors Lavazza.  

I set to work determined to make a decent batch and here's the result:

Finally, decent macaroons that look as good as they taste!

To make these macaroons, along with a truckload of patience, you will need:

225g icing sugar, sifted
125g ground almonds
3 large free-range egg whites (not super fresh eggs)
25g caster sugar
10ml cooled espresso

Filling:

100 g mascarpone
1 Tblsp cooled espresso
or you could use some chocolate ganache

Preheat your oven to 140C.  Line baking trays with non-stick baking paper.

In a spotlessly clean mixing bowl whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks.  Add the caster sugar 1 teaspoon at a time whilst you continue beating the egg whites until stiff peaks form.


Mix the sifted icing sugar and ground almond together. Add the cooled espresso to the egg whites then fold in the ground almond  mixture.


Fill a piping bag with the macaroon mixture and pipe circles onto the non-stick baking paper lined tray.  I piped mine 2 inches apart to allow for spreading.


Rest the macaroons for 15 mins before you put them into the oven, this allows a skin to form.  Bake the macaroons for 10 - 12 minutes and allow to cool on the trays.


To make the filling, mix the mascarpone and espresso together until light. Cover half the macaroons with the filling then top with the remaining macaroons.


Don't forget the fabulous Lavazza Wimbledon Giveaway!

To be in with a chance to win one the fantastic Lavazza Wimbledon prizes look out for promotional cups on take away Lavazza coffees from cafes, or enter the fabulous giveaway online at http://promotion.wimbledon.lavazza.com/

Prizes include six pairs of tickets to Wimbledon, 90 Lavazza A Modo Mio Favola Plus Wimbledon Limited Edition coffee machines and 500 sets of four exclusive espresso cups created especially for the tournament.
 

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love your coffee recipes :)
    These look so yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina :) x I've a few more coffee recipes to make as well! At least another 6 LOL

      Delete
  2. love these, they look so good. Interesting tip about leaving them before baking, I'll give that a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look absolutely perfect! They can be so hit and miss (I've had some disasters) but you seem to have got it nailed.

    ReplyDelete