Powered by Blogger.

Really Easy Jubilee Sponge Traybake

Monday 28 May 2012
My 3 daughters wanted to bake this afternoon, despite it being 30 degrees outside.  We made a delicious Jubilee themed sponge traybake because there will be a school Jubilee afternoon on Friday and my girls couldn't wait to get into the Jubilee spirit.  It was realy easy and quick.  The worked really well together, even though they were rather hot and tired.  There was intense debate and concentration during the decorating process too. Thankfully there were no serious disagreements and the cake was decorated without too much hassle.

I doubled this recipe and baked it in two large foil trays from the supermarket.  We then brushed the bottoms and tops with heated up homemade hedgerow jam, to stop the sponges from getting soggy after being covered with whipped cream, and topped it with berries.




The sponge is delicious and light!  The only problem is the size, it is suitable for a street party, it will feed at least 12 - 15 people.  I shared 1/3 with a friend (who has a family of 6), gave large slices to the neighbours and still had enough for us to have two helpings.

What I should've done is make one traybake, cut it in half, then stacked each half on top of each other with cream in the middle.  You could do that if you wanted a much smaller one that wouldn't feed the 5,000 LOL


They want to bake some Jubilee biscuits tomorrow . . . . . . . . .  watch this space!

6 comments:

  1. I like how you made the union jack out f berries! Really simple but so effective! I bet it tasted delicious and was lively and light.
    Thank you for linking up btw xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the fab linky, love seeing all the other entries :) It was really light and tasted delicious, fed loads of people too. I will make a much smaller one next time though x

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious - love the oozing cream! I can get away with making mega-sized cakes like this as I just call upon my 18 year old son & friends. Gone in no time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen :) I think I need some blokes with hollow legs to gobble up all my baking LOL I had to give some to friends and neighbours. I'll make a much smaller version next time.

      Delete
  3. I bought strawberries & bluberries to make a cake just like this, but forgot the cream so I made cupcakes instead! It looks lovely, hope you managed to eat it all !

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth waters. It looks so delicious!!! Love blueberries! Pretty healthy and nutritional!

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top