Welcome to my blog!

Savvy shopping, seasonal eating and thrifty recipes. Spend less on groceries and enjoy better tasting, easy to prepare meals your friends and family will love – all on a budget.

Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Dairy Free Mocha Sorbet

The weather is lovely and sunny today, the complete opposite to what was forecast.  To celebrate that, and the fact that I have made it into the Quarter Finals of the Lavazza Coffee, Set, Match Challenge, I decided to make a lovely treat for a few Mums who will be coming around to mine after school today. 

Using my fab Lavazza coffee machine I made Mocha Sorbet.  It was really easy to make and tasted delicious!

560ml water
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup good quality cocoa
1 tsp vanilla extract
60ml freshly brewed espresso - I used use Lavazza Diviniamente

In a saucepan over a medium heat combine 250ml water with the sugar and cocoa powder.  Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, then lower the heat and simmer for 1 minute before taking it off the heat.

Add the vanilla, espresso and the rest of the water.  Stir well to combine everything then put it in a jug to chill in the fridge for an hour or so.  You can then transfer the chilled mixture to an ice-cream maker and it will make the sorbet for you.  I don't have an ice-cream maker, although I would dearly love one (HINT!).  

If, like me, you are without an ice-cream maker just freeze the sorbet in a cake tin in the freezer until it is solid.  Take it out of the freezer about 15 minutes before you want to serve it.  Let it warm up on the bench for a bit then blitz it in your food processor until it becomes smooth.  Be careful! Don't break your food processor by trying to process huge chunks of frozen sorbet - it can happen.

Hastly taken photo before it was devoured!

Remember: To be in with a chance to win one the fantastic Lavazza Wimbledon prizes look out for promotional cups on take away Lavazza coffees, or enter the fabulous giveaway online at http://promotion.wimbledon.lavazza.com/

Prizes include six pairs of tickets to Wimbledon, 90 Lavazza A Modo Mio Favola Plus Wimbledon Limited Edition coffee machines and 500 sets of four exclusive espresso cups created especially for the tournament.

2 comments:

  1. That looks lush! Well done on going through to next round!

    I keep my ice cream maker in the freezer drawer so it's ready to go although to be honest, it often gets kicked out if I need the freezer space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that does look exactly what I could do with right now :-) what lucky friends you do have!

    ReplyDelete