Powered by Blogger.

Easy Tasty Meatloaf

Thursday 6 October 2011
This isn't one of those meatloaves that look and taste like a brick. It's moist and flavoursome, you can serve it hot or cold with salads or cooked vegetables,  and is fab in packed lunches the next day.  I cheat by using supermarket or butchers sausages that are already flavoured.  You can get some great ones that are around 95% meat so not full of loads of undesireable ingredients to fill them out.

2 garlic cloves, crushed

500g beef mince

400g sausage meat (I use flavoured sausages with 95% meat)

2 carrots, peeled and grated

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 onion, finely chopped

1 tsp salt

black pepper to taste

If you're not using flavoured sausages then add:

2 tsp Dijon mustard

2 tsp dried mixed herbs

1 handful chopped fresh parsley

Topping

1/3 cup rolled oats

2 Tblsp brown sugar, firmly packed

1/3 cup tomato sauce/ketchup

Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan-forced.  Grease a 7cm deep, 10cm x 22cm (base) loaf tin. 

Put the garlic, mince, sausage meat, egg, onion, grated carrot and any herbs or flavourings you want to use, into a large bowl. Thoroughly combine everything using your hands to really squish it all together to that it's really well blended.  Press the mixture firmly into the loaf tin and level the top.  Combine the topping ingredients and then spread it evenly over the meatloaf.  Cover with foil then bake for 30 minutes.  Remove the foil and bake for a further 30 minutes or until juices run clear when you test it with a skewer.

5 comments:

  1. whenever I've made meatloaf it's never had a great deal of flavour - what a great idea to use sausages, I have some hickory smoked ones in the freezer that I think I may try out.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! This looks like a good one to try (sausage meat - interesting! That should work).

    This is a very good linky - I am doomed to put a stone on 'before' Christmas, me thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! This looks very interesting - sausages - that should work!

    I am doomed to put on a stone before Christmas with this linky. But then food friends are usually very nice friends to have - so link I may well do :o

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never actually made meatloaf before- now I think I actually will! Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always think the good old meatloaf is underrated. This looks like a good recipe.

    Just popping over from Keith's Recipe Shed.

    Anne @ Domesblissity

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top